The Career & Internship Center Employer and Community Connections team is pleased to bring UW students and alumni a variety of opportunities to connect directly with employers – whether here on campus or virtually, we love connecting Huskies with employers eager to hire them!
Handshake: Thousands of jobs & internships posted annually – local, national and even international – as well as the opportunity to ask questions of recruiters, read internship reviews, RSVP to events and activities and much more.
- Update your Handshake Profile
- A robust Handshake profile can be as helpful as a detailed resume or LinkedIn page. Employers are searching for students on Handshake based on the information in their profiles, and messaging candidates with event invites or to encourage them to apply for new job opportunities. See more ideas to maximize Handshake by checking out our Handshake Profile Challenge!
- Review your Handshake’s Privacy Settings
- If your Handshake account is set to “Private,” your profile is not visible to employers, and you may miss out on opportunities. With your settings updated to “Employers” or “Community,” your profile will be visible to employers approved by UW and may show up as employers search Handshake for potential hires and message students with opportunities.
- Jobs & Internships
- Employers are posting hundreds of new jobs and internships on Handshake every day, so don’t forget to check often to see what has been added. To see which positions were added to Handshake most recently, navigate to Handshake’s “Jobs” section. At the top of the list of positions, click “Relevance” and change to the filter to “Date Posted.” Review some job search tips from Handshake!
- Curated Employer Collections
- The Career & Internship Center has curated multiple lists to highlight certain employers based on attributes and strengths that are unique and valuable to students. These employers are thoughtfully selected and added to these employer collections.
- Employer Virtual Chats and Messaging
- Employers in Handshake may choose to host virtual info chats with students to share more information about a role, company, or team. In addition, many employers have actively made themselves available to students through messaging. These employers want to connect with you and help you along in your career through both of these options.
- Handshake Blog and Resources
- Handshake has created a blog and multiple resources specifically focused on helping students navigate a career search, interview process, and making the most of an internship. There are also articles with tips from recruiters. Check out their website for some interesting content!
Career Fairs: Whether 25 employers or 130, career fairs are a great way to create connections and get face-time with recruiters. Hosted October – June, career fairs (also termed job & internship fairs) can be a great addition to your search strategy. Find some guidance for fair preparation on our website.
Virtual Backgrounds: Looking for a UW-themed background image as you prepare for your next virtual interview or video meeting with a potential employer? We’ve curated a selection of virtual background options from around the UW for you to choose from.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Hope to see you at an employer event soon!