International Students & Other Health Professional Programs


American Dental Education Association (ADEA)- International Students

“If you are an international student, the good news is that you are qualified to apply to most dental schools in the United States and Canada. The bad news is that you may have to go to some extra lengths to apply to dental school. Many schools require international students to demonstrate English language proficiency by taking the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or providing some other assurance of proficiency in English. The other downside of being an international student with dreams of going to dental school in the United States is that it is more difficult to get financial aid since you are not a U.S. or Canadian Citizen, but there are resources that can help you find other options.”

Physician Assistant

American Academy of Physician Assistants- Become a PA

“There are currently more than 240 accredited physician assistant programs at U.S. colleges and universities, with 140 PA programs that accept international applicants, according to Steven Lane, a spokesperson at the Physician Assistant Education Association, which represents PA educational programs in the U.S. Most PA programs are at the graduate degree level.”


American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP)- International Students & Graduates

“Some U.S. pharmacy institutions do not consider international (non-U.S.) applicants for admission. International applicants may compete for a limited number of positions or may be ineligible for admission, depending on institutional and state policies. Private pharmacy institutions generally offer non-U.S. citizens a greater number of positions within the program as compared to state-supported, public institutions. Foreign citizens should visit the PharmCAS Directory or the website for each U.S. pharmacy school to determine if international (foreign) applicants are eligible for admission.

If the U.S. institution considers non-U.S. citizens for admission, the applicant must meet the same minimum entry requirements as American students, including course prerequisites and standardized tests. Applicants who completed pre-pharmacy study outside the U.S. will be required to submit original foreign transcripts or a course-by-course foreign transcript evaluation report, depending on school policy. Some pharmacy schools do not accept pre-pharmacy courses taken at a foreign institution and may require pre-pharmacy courses be completed in in a U.S. accredited university”

Visit the PharmCAS Directory to determine whether a pharmacy school considers non-U.S. citizens for admission and to view admission requirements and Pharmacy School Admission Requirements (PSAR) publication.

Physical Therapy 

American Physical Therapy Association– Requirements for Entry-Level or Postprofessional Education

“Applications to study physical therapy in the US at the entry-level or postprofessional level are considered for admission based on merit on a case by case basis. To qualify for admission, international students may be required to submit their educational credentials for review to assess equivalency. 

The specific requirements for admission to PT and PTA education programs in the US at the entry-level and at the postprofessional level vary between academic programs and academic institutions. For this reason, you must contact the program or programs you are interested in directly to find out more about admission requirements and deadlines.

APTA’s resources for Prospective Students include directories of PT and PTA education programs that have been accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE).”

Occupational Therapy

American Occupational Therapy Association- Find a School

Please look at this list of Occupational Therapy programs in the U.S. to see which ones accept international students.