Manage Student Employees
As University of Washington employees, we have a critical role in educating and mentoring our students to enable their success on and off the job. The work completed by our student employees helps them gain relevant skills and experience, while developing as professionals and other qualities important to their future endeavors.
See below for additional information about how to manage and support student employees. Contact us with any questions or concerns and we would be happy to help in meeting your needs as a manager.
- Based on what skills employer look for in recent graduates, our Level Up! Career Competencies provide language for students and managers to talk about skill development.
- Help your students articulate their skills on a resume, cover letter, or interview with this handout.
- LinkedIn Learning is an on-demand video learning platform available to all UW faculty, staff and students and can help anyone develop and enhance skills.
Management and Supervision
- Develop a working relationship with student employees through Casual Conversations.
- Explore our 6 Steps to Improve Onboarding and Retention Practices which outlines how to set up employees for success.
- These video resources from students and managers cover a range of topics relevant for managing student employees.
- Learn how to create an environment that minimizes conflict and how to act and resolve them when they occur.
- Turn your student jobs into internships or internship-like experiences.
- Understand and utilize other campus resources that can help support your students in their academics, at work, or in their professional development.