Career Fairs for Fall 2020 – and perhaps most of the 2020-2021 academic year – will be hosted entirely online. What does this mean? How do you prepare? Spoiler alert: You’re more ready than you know! And we’ve got great resources, tips and training to help you feel confident, prepared and ready as you enter a season of virtual career fairs.
FALL 2020 CAREER FAIR DATES
- October 14, 2020 – Business Career Fair (open to all majors)
- October 15, 2020 – Science & Engineering Career Fair (open to all majors)
- November 3, 2020 – Law School Fair (open to all majors)
Virtual career fairs may be hosted on any number of platforms – Zoom, Brazen, VFairs or CareerEco, to name a few. Each platform is unique and offers distinct features – event organizers should provide support and how-to documentation to help you put your best virtual foot forward, and platform websites often contain FAQ’s and training modules.
This Fall, most UW-Seattle Career Fairs will be hosted through the Handshake Virtual Career Fair platform. Technical specs and how-to documentation below is focus specifically on the Handshake Virtual Career Fair platform.
WHAT’S THE SAME ABOUT AN IN-PERSON CAREER FAIR AND A HANDSHAKE VIRTUAL CAREER FAIR?
- Companies in attendance will be hiring for part-time, full-time and/or internship roles.
- You’ll still need a resume, an elevator pitch and business casual attire.
- The Handshake Virtual Career Fair requires you to sign up in advance for InfoSessions and 1:1 conversations with attending companies.
- You’ll have dedicated time to connect with company representatives – no more standing in line!
- You’ll have the opportunity to sign up for times and information unique to specific hiring initiatives you’re interested in – no more talking to recruiters about roles you’re interested in but that they don’t represent.
- You need to be on-point! 1:1 sessions act as screening interviews – they’re now PART of the career fair, not just a next step after a career fair.
HOW IS THE CAREER & INTERNSHIP CENTER HELPING HUSKIES GET READY?
- We hosted workshops to help you prepare! Find recording here and PowerPoint slides here
- Check out our answers to your Virtual Fair FAQs
- Lots of great articles and how-to’s – read on for details!
WHAT IS A HANDSHAKE VIRTUAL CAREER FAIR ALL ABOUT?
- Virtual Career Fairs are Here! Next Stop: Getting Hired
- Handshake’s Guide to Attending a Virtual Fair – Students
- Virtual Fairs – Your Ticket to Getting Hired
REGISTRATION AND SCHEDULING – YUP, YOU HAVE TO SIGN UP IN ADVANCE!
Handshake Virtual Career Fairs are facilitated through sign-up/registration processes prior to the Career Fair. As available slots fill, employers may or may not have the ability to make more available. Register early and often for sessions of interest!
Because advance registration is required, preparation becomes key. Is your profile ready to go? Have you done your company research?
- Watch Handshake’s recorded webinar: Expert Tips For Rocking Your Handshake Virtual Career Fair
- Attending a Virtual Career Fair? Here Are 10 Tips You Need to Know
- 5 Tips to Stand Out at Virtual Fairs
- Check out Handshake’s blog posts about success at a virtual fair
- Profile Privacy Options in Handshake
- Make sure you have a ‘public resume’ uploaded to Handshake. Once you RSVP for an event or activity, an employer will be able to see the ‘public resume’ you have in your Handshake profile.
- View Employers Attending an Upcoming Career Fair
- Handshake Video Requirements & Troubleshooting (Students)
WHAT DOES THE DAY-OF LOOK LIKE?
On the day of the virtual fair, you’ll need to carefully monitor and manage the Group and 1:1 sessions that you’ve RSVP’ed for. Interactions with recruiters will take place through video platforms – embedded Handshake video for 1:1 chats and many Group sessions, with some employers hosting larger group sessions through Zoom or similar platforms.
You don’t need to download anything – the Handshake Virtual Career Fair takes place entirely within the web-based Handshake system! Please note: The Virtual Career Fair is not optimized for mobile participation.
- Participating in a Virtual Fair
- Check-in with an Employer at an Event or Fair
- Reporting an Issue at a Virtual Fair
On the day of each Handshake Fair, event hosts will also have an independent Zoom room available to provide last minute career coaching support, event troubleshooting or quick check-ins. Details available within each Career Fair entry in Handshake.
- Need help accessing technology or wifi so you can participate in a virtual fair? Click here.
- So what IS business casual attire? Click here for ideas.
- Get your resume ready! From online resume reviews to 1:1 coaching to DIY resources, we can help you get your resume ready for the fairs.
How can we help? Not sure where to start? Email email@example.com