Currently, we have over 4,000 members, mostly Chinese students and scholars studying or working at UW or having graduated from UW, but also including families and friends of Chinese students and scholars at UW. We also have associated with the local community and have contacts with several other major Chinese organizations in the greater Seattle area. With our large membership, CSSA-UW has been playing an active and influential role in sponsoring and organizing activities on the UW campus as well as in the community of the greater Seattle area to promoting Chinese culture.
To reach our goals, CSSA-UW provides various services and organizes various activities to its members as well as the community in greater Seattle area.
- Our major services include:
- Parties for the celebration of major Chinese festivals;
- Orientation and reception to new students or scholars, including consultation for new students;
- Entertainment, sports and game activities;
- Distributing various information/messages, ranging from cultural activities in local community, job opportunities in Seattle, to housing and yard selling information from/to members via the mailing list and the CSSA discussion board;
- Sponsoring various seminars or presentations related to group members, such as seminars on visa application, or on career development;
- Supporting or coordinating our members to participate in cross-cultural activities on UW campus.
Over the years CSSA-UW has organized many large events, including the annually New Student Welcome Party and the Chinese New Year Celebration, which attracted hundreds of students, scholars, and Chinese professionals in the greater Seattle area, as well as VIPs including the consul of China San Francisco.
Besides these annually large events, we also regularly organize and coordinate some social activities, ranging from weekly ping pong games and soccer games, to quarterly or semi-quarterly Chinese movie shows, dancing parties, and outdoor trips.
We are looking forward to welcoming more new members, and to reaching out more into the local community to further promote understanding of Chinese culture in the Seattle area.