Are you passionate about inspiring the next generation of environmental leaders? Translate your passion to action with YMCA Earth Service Corps (YESC). YESC is seeking to fill multiple AmeriCorps community service positions to start in September 2021.
Program Description: YMCA Earth Service Corps is leadership through environmental service. The mission of YESC is to empower young people to become effective, responsible, global citizens by providing opportunities for service-learning, environmental education, and cross-cultural awareness. Program Instructors serving with YMCA Earth Service Corps will play a crucial role in delivering high quality positive youth development programming to teens in the Greater Seattle Area. YESC is a multi-faceted program that combines school-based environmental clubs, service-learning projects, outdoor opportunities and regional environmental education events into a comprehensive model that minimizes barriers to participation and allows for engagement of diverse populations.
Position Description: Each Program Instructor will develop youth leaders through the implementation of school-based clubs that provide opportunities for environmental education, leadership development, service-learning, and cross-cultural awareness which instill confidence, build character, and support youth in reaching their fullest potential. Program Instructors will foster strong relationships, empower youth to be effective leaders, and engage them in outdoor experiences and hands-on volunteerism that increases environmental knowledge, instills stewardship behaviors, and addresses the environmental issues facing the Puget Sound community.
Program Instructors will:
- Serve with 5-6 middle or high school environmental service clubs over the course of the school year, initiate and develop partnerships at new schools by identifying sites, fostering relationships, connecting with volunteer Club Advisors, and recruiting teen participants.
- Coordinate with youth leaders to plan and implement environmental service-learning projects.
- Plan and facilitate regional environmental projects including habitat restoration; outdoor opportunities including day hikes, snowshoeing, and kayaking; and educational field trips that foster strong connections between youth and the natural world.
- Collaborate to plan four regional events including an Environmental Leaders Summit, Environmental Symposium and two Eco-Retreats.
- Collaborate with staff, teen leaders, and volunteers to enhance and improve programming through the development of new curriculum, resources and community partnerships.
Program Instructors will be based at the Cascade People’s Center in Seattle while spending time each day traveling to schools in neighboring cities and throughout the Puget Sound.
This position will require willingness to engage in outdoor program activities such as habitat restoration, service projects, hikes, kayaking, snowshoeing, etc. in all weather conditions. Some evening and weekend hours are required. This position may require a vehicle.
- Training and experience, including and not limited to: facilitation, participant-centered youth development, wilderness skills, Pacific Northwest ecology, DEI (Diversity, Equity & Inclusion), First Aid & CPR, Y Mini-Bus Driver Training, and Teen Abuse Prevention Training.
- Living stipend of $1,945.24 per month provided by Washington Service Corps (before taxes)
- Student loan forbearance and interest accrual payment (On qualifying loans)
- $6,345 Education Award provided by National Service Trust (upon successful completion of service term)
- Serving in a full-time AmeriCorps position qualifies as “employment” towards the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program
- Health Insurance (member only)
- Monthly Food Assistance (If qualified)
- Subsidized childcare provided by GAP Solutions Inc. (If qualified)
- Monthly ORCA Transit Pass or Mileage Reimbursement
- YMCA Membership
Application: Interested individuals are encouraged to visit the AmeriCorps National posting to apply: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=103012. For more information about YMCA Earth Service Corps or the position, please contact us at email@example.com or 206-587-6116.
Eligibility: Applicants must be at least 21 years old; BA or BS preferred. For more information on the AmeriCorps program, visit www.americorps.gov.
For more information about YESC’s positions and other positions available through the YMCA’s Camping and Outdoor Leadership Branch, visit www.campingandoutdoorleadership.org.