Utah Clean Energy is seeking a passionate and engaging individual to serve as our Clean Energy Access & Equity Associate. This is a new position within our organization that will lead and coordinate our climate justice, energy access and affordability, and JEDI (justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion) initiatives to ensure a more just and equitable clean energy transition in Utah and the West.
Utah Clean Energy is a nonprofit climate solutions organization based in Salt Lake City that advocates in Utah and the West. Our multi-disciplinary team is leading and accelerating the clean energy transformation with vision and expertise. We are committed to creating a future that ensures healthy, thriving communities for all, empowered and sustained by clean energy.
POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACTIVITIES:
• Build relationships and foster authentic community engagement with Utah’s front-line communities on climate change, energy access/affordability, decarbonization, and electrification efforts, with a focus on communities that are disproportionately impacted by climate change and air pollution.
• In partnership with community partners and Utah Clean Energy team members, develop strategies for reducing greenhouse gas emissions, preparing for climate impacts, and improving health, environmental, and economic outcomes.
• Support and inform the development of policy and program strategies that maximize co-benefits, such as improved mobility, housing affordability, improved health outcomes, economic opportunity, emergency preparedness, and community resiliency.
• Partner and collaborate with local governments, community-based organization, and foundations to expand and implement programs that address energy equity, climate justice and improve resiliency among community members.
• Present to and facilitate conversations with a wide variety of audiences (such as city and county elected officials, community members, rural stakeholders, emergency management practitioners, public health professionals, etc.).
• Actively work with and advise Utah Clean Energy’s team leads to ensure that Utah Clean Energy’s climate, decarbonization, and beneficial electrification work aligns with organizational JEDI (Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion) commitments.
• Lead organizational JEDI initiatives in coordination with Executive Director and Assistant Director, including staff committee meetings and activities, staff/board workshops and trainings, developing and/or advising on internal policies and practices, etc.
• In collaboration with the Communications Team, create and publish reports, white papers, web content, e-newsletters, and other program information.
• Coordinate with members of the Utah Climate Action Network to support UCAN members around climate action and equity issues.
Ideally, applicants should have a bachelor’s degree and 3+ years’ experience working on energy, climate and/or social justice issues for a business, nonprofit organization, or government agency. Master’sdegree in environmental-related and/or social justice field a plus. Relevant work and/or community experience will be considered as a potential substitute for a degree.
In addition, we are seeking candidates with the following qualities:
• Passionate about mitigating the climate crisis and creating a clean and equitable energy futurefor Utah and the West.
• An understanding of the concepts of institutional and structural racism and bias and theirimpact on underserved and underrepresented communities, and a desire to advance solutionsthat uplift these communities.
• Excellent analytical, communication, and writing skills, with the ability to rapidly assimilate andsynthesize information, including technical information.
• Experience considering the impacts on and incorporating perspectives of multiple communitiesin analysis and decision-making, including BIPOC communities, immigrant/refugee communities,and low-income communities.
• Demonstrated collaboration, networking and relationship-building skills with community-basedorganizations, community and business leaders, and government agencies.
• Experience leading and facilitating discussions of focus groups, workshops, collaborativegovernance processes, and community-driven policy development.
• Highly organized and self-directed, with the ability to work independently, while being flexible ina fast-paced, collaborative, and evolving environment.
• Desire to be a part of an influential team of professionals, who embrace high quality, impactfulwork, and a healthy work-life balance.
• Eager to take on a wide variety of tasks and help with all aspects of a small nonprofitorganization, including nurturing relationships to support continued growth of the energy accessand equity program.
• Fluency in Spanish preferred.
Equity and social justice are a critical components of Utah Clean Energy’s mission, values, and strategic pathways. We welcome candidates from an array of backgrounds and experiences to join our team. Learn more about our commitment here: https://utahcleanenergy.org/energy-equity/
COMPENSATION: Salary range for this position is $54,000 to $64,000 and is a full-time exempt position. Salary is dependent on relevant and demonstrated experience, with most candidates starting under or close to the mid-point of the salary range. Utah Clean Energy’s benefits package includes health insurance, 403(b) retirement plan contributions, life & disability coverage, paid vacation, sick, holiday, and parental leave. This position is based in Salt Lake City, Utah and provides the opportunity to work in a relaxed environment close to recreation opportunities in Utah.
TIMELINE AND APPLICATION PROCESS:
• Please email a cover letter, resume, and professional writing sample email@example.com. (Please, no phone calls.)
• Position open until filled, with preference for applications received by July 12, 2021
Utah Clean Energy is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination with regard to race, sex, color, age, religion, creed, class, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and disability.