Junior Specialist- Von Zastrow Lab
We are looking for a candidate to work in a temporary position of one year as a Research Junior Specialist. The work will be carried out at UCSF Mission Bay campus in Genentech Hall. The appropriate candidate will be assisting research to understand cellular and molecular mechanisms underlying brain development and diseases. Our lab is interested in the mechanics of G protein-coupled receptor (GPCR) signaling and activities. Specifically, we are interested in how distinct GPCR’s activate signaling cascades at diverse sub-cellular locations and how the cell can discriminate these signals to inform the cellular response. We are seeking highly motivated applicants, independent, and organized individuals for a full-time research position. This position is suitable for an individual who is looking to gain research experience and further career development. Key responsibilities that the candidate should be able to perform based on prior research lab experience and with minimal training include: 1. Mouse colony maintenance (husbandry, weaning, ear-tagging, ear-cutting for genotyping, sending genotyping samples out) updating on-line mouse colony database. 2. Mouse histology (trans-cardial perfusion of mice, brain extraction, freezing and sectioning and immunhistochemical studies) 3. Confocal microscopy imaging of immunofluorescence in brain sections 4. Microscopy image pre-processing and analysis with imaging software 5. Electronic lab record keeping of experiments and results, uploading transferring imaging data to shared network between supervisor and staff.
• The appropriate candidate will have already obtained a BS in life science field and be available to start work ASAP.
• Experience and knowledge about mouse neuroanatomy.
• Laboratory animal handling certification (at least 1 year).
• Candidate’s must meet the required qualifications at the time of appointment. Candidate’s CV and/or cover letter must state qualifications (or if pending) upon submission.
• The candidate will have at least 1 year experience working with neuroscience research in mice, maintaining mouse colony, performing immunohistochemistry with mouse brain tissue and using confocal microscopes.
• Post-graduate training in field
Please apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF03557, with a CV containing previous research experience, GPA and the names of three references. Also, please include a short cover letter on why you are interested in this position and on your career goals.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service that has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.