U.S. News & World Report is a digital-first media company dedicated to helping consumers and business professionals make important decisions. We publish independent reporting, rankings, data journalism and advice that have earned the trust of our readers and users for more than 85 years.
As a trusted authority providing empowerment and guidance that improves the quality of life for consumers and communities, U.S. News ultimately leads to better life decisions.
Your role in helping us shape the future:
U.S. News & World Report’s Travel section is seeking a yearlong paid intern. This intern will be helping with updating and expanding our Best Vacations rankings, plus other consumer-facing products that support our mission to help people plan the ideal vacation. This position includes a significant amount of writing, copy editing, research and fact-checking. This person will be primarily responsible for editing and fact-checking existing vacation rankings and writing content for new destinations and new vacation rankings, which will appear on our Best Vacations pages. The intern will also have the chance to write one to two bylined articles or slideshows, in addition to writing and editing content for various travel products.
Our ideal teammate is dedicated, efficient and detail-oriented. The successful candidate will gain experience with online publishing and editing content, and will have the opportunity to contribute to the team’s various successful products, among other aspects of the site. This is a great opportunity for a highly motivated individual with a strong interest in the travel industry, online media and consumer journalism.
You should definitely have:
- Strong writing, fact-checking and editing skills – you should be capable of being both writer and copy editor, able to produce clean copy devoid of spelling errors, factual inconsistencies and grammatical issues
- Strong knowledge of AP style
- Utmost attention to detail
- Experience with gathering, processing and analyzing data from various sources
- Ability to work on deadlines and handle several tasks simultaneously
- Strong verbal communication skills; must work well as part of a team
- Solid organizational and time-management skills
It would be nice if you had:
- Familiarity with hospitality industry and an interest in travel
- Familiarity with content management systems
What it’s like to work with us:
- Talent is our best asset!
- We invest in people with passion and potential who understand U.S. News’ dedication to our consumers.
- Entrepreneurial, mission-driven culture with core values of quality and integrity
- Focus on fostering personal and professional growth
- Collaborative work environment: fun, diverse, inclusive and ambitious co-workers
Other job info:
- This is a yearlong internship that pays $15 an hour
- This position is open to remote candidates in the U.S. only; must be willing to work on Eastern Standard Time
- Applicants must provide a resume, a cover letter and two writing samples for consideration.
- These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by interns assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of interns assigned to this job.