Description of Work: Working with a highly motivated team of researchers under the guidance of mentors, your research will focus on the development, design, specification, production, and testing of Fiber Reinforced Polymer (FRP) composite hydraulic structures. The USACE has 8 demonstration projects validating the efficacy and resiliency of FRP materials in navigation structure applications. Each hydraulic structure converted from steel to FRP has potential to save the Nation tens of millions of dollars in maintenance and repair costs over a 100-year design life. Tests in our laboratory validate materials and structural designs by utilizing multiple instruments and targeting various end state goals, typically including non-destructive evaluation techniques. Design and development tasks will include documentation of inspection and repair techniques. General duties may include the following tasks:
· Planning and execution of material testing including but not limited to:
o Preparing and conditioning specimens for testing.
o Conducting laboratory tests to determine physical, mechanical, and chemical properties.
o Adherence to all applicable safety standards and good laboratory practice.
o Collecting and analyzing laboratory experiment data.
o Drawing conclusions and documenting results.
· Assisting with preparation of reports and presentation materials using word processing, photo processing, computer generated graphics, and spreadsheet software.
· Performing literature review to help plan new tests and prepare guidance documents.
· Setting up and operating material science instruments, which may include ultrasonic probes, Scanning Electron Microscope, X-ray Fluorescence Spectrometer, Fourier Transform Infrared Spectrometer, Thermogravimetric Analyzer, Dynamic Scanning Calorimeter, or other similar scientific instruments.
· Performing field work such as instrumentation setup, data collection and analysis, and evaluation of results at military installations and Corps of Engineers sites. This position requires U. S. Citizenship.
Job Schedule: Full time
Requirements: Skills and training in materials science and testing, ideally with polymer composite materials testing or research experience.
Educational Requirements: Minimum education: BS or equivalent in a relevant field (Materials Engineering/Science, Polymer Engineering/Science, Civil Engineering, Structural Engineering); MS encouraged to apply.