Who we are: The Freshwater Trust (TFT) is a non-profit leader in watershed analysis, restoration/ conservation program design, and implementation. Our team members are building tools and creating and testing new solutions that will help to create resiliency in our rivers. With a mission of preserving and restoring freshwater ecosystems, our approach is driven by science, data, and results (see our Core Values).
With headquarters in Portland, OR, TFT employs 45+ team members across Oregon, Idaho, Washington and California. We currently have three physical offices in Portland, Ashland, OR and Sacramento, CA. Our team members range in background and skillset; teams include a philanthropy and fundraising team, communications team, science and analytics team, restoration team, legal team, finance team, and administrative and systems support.
Who you are: TFT is seeking an experienced Water Law & Policy Specialist with excellent research, writing, and communication skills. The ideal candidate has a strong interest in federal, state, and local water law and policy as it relates to both water quantity and water quality, and possesses the ability to interpret and apply scientific and technical concepts in relevant statutory and policy contexts. With the capacity to adapt to shifting priorities and work independently, the candidate will support the policy initiatives and programs of the organization. Under the direction and guidance of the VP – Finance & Policy, the Water Law & Policy Specialist will engage in a wide array of policy analysis and be tasked with making informed and persuasive cases for policy positions and supporting transactions.
- Lead research efforts to support policy objectives, monitor policy and regulatory developments, provide insight, and advise TFT staff on significant opportunities.
- Conduct comprehensive examination and evaluations of specific legal and regulatory landscapes to conceptualize novel water solutions, transactions, and programmatic approaches to vexing water-related issues.
- Support contracting and legal/technical analyses related to an array of water transactions.
- Complete technical policy research and prepare related written evaluations and analyses.
- Work with the VP – Finance & Policy to pursue policy reforms that advance TFT’s mission.
Skills and Qualifications:
- At least 3 years of workplace experience in water quantity law and policy, drought response, or other relevant water fields. Specific experience with western water issues, law, and transactions preferred. Experience with water quality issues a plus.
- Law degree strongly suggested, though other advanced degrees in public policy, water resource management, or conservation financing may be considered if paired with significant practical experience.
- Demonstrated experience navigating administrative agency operations, rules, and policy to enhance outcomes from regulatory or agency funding programs.
- Experience drafting technical policy documents, with ability to calibrate writing for relevant audience (e.g., internal memo, external position paper, client deliverable).
- Demonstrated understanding of how public dollars flow through natural resource agency programs, with focus on how to improve outcomes, speed, and scale of investment on-the-ground.
- Skilled in defining issues, performing legal research, analyzing problems, evaluating alternatives, and making sound recommendations
Seeking Perseverant, Creative and Energetic Candidates Who:
- Have a passion for the mission and values of The Freshwater Trust
- Exhibit professionalism, confidence, intellectual curiosity, and resilience.
- Are simultaneously team-oriented and strong individual contributors.
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
- Are fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
- Hold legal authority to work permanently in the US.