Consider before applying: This position is expected to start around May/Jun and continue through Aug/Sep. Internships are in-person for 40 hours a week for a minimum of 12 weeks. Please consider before submitting an application.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school before applying. You must be able to work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time depending on their academic standing.
Internship Programs at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year-round program places the best students in positions that they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their Manager, Mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by giving them ownership over projects that are critical to their team’s success.
Palo Alto, CA
About the Team
Tesla is a leader in Autopilot technology and we’re building the world’s best in-car navigation experience. These two fields overlap in the role of Maps Engineer. We’re looking for motivated software engineers that are up to the challenge.
You will implement next generation algorithms on top of large amounts of data from the Tesla fleet. This is a cornerstone on which Navigate on Autopilot and Smart Summon are implemented. In addition, the same data will drive more efficient routing and better turn-by-turn navigation for customers.
The ideal candidate is self-driven, has experience developing high-performance applications and motivated by complex algorithmic problems. Our engineers must bring a principled, data-driven methodology to software development with a passion for improving quality of their products. Flexibility is paramount, as the engineer must learn a wide array of technologies to improve customer experience ranging from route quality and ETA prediction all the way to self-driving capabilities.
- Rapidly prototype in-car customer experiences
- Build full stack features for both in-car maps and Autopilot navigation
- Extract meaningful data from fleet telemetry via automated processes
- Implement complete features with both client and server footprint
- Design, code, and debug software on Linux-based embedded platforms and Linux servers
- Work with a cross-functional team of hardware engineers, application/UI software engineers, QA/Validation, and designers
- Currently pursuing a degree in Computer Science or a related field with a gradation date between 2024 – 2025
- Proficient in one of C++, Python, Go, Scala
- Experience writing and shipping customer-facing code
- High standards for code quality, maintainability, and performance
- Willingness to learn new technologies in any area of the stack: Vehicle Control, Routing/Guidance Algorithms, Server Infrastructure, UI, Embedded Systems
- Nice to have: Experience with Maps / GIS / Computational Geometry data is a strong plus, Experience in Spark, AWS, Kubernetes, Jenkins