The Phlebotomist/Lab Assistant III will provide age-appropriate phlebotomy services; perform laboratory specimen processing; use clinical information systems to fulfill laboratory orders; provide results of testing and other information to patient care teams; create accounts for laboratory specimens in hospital demographics/billing system; train new employees; participate in process improvement efforts aimed at improving direct patient care and flow of specimens through the laboratory.
We prefer candidates with previous phlebotomy or laboratory experience for the phlebotomist/lab assistant roles. New graduates are welcome to apply to the lab assistant-specimen processing positions (that do not require blood drawing/phlebotomy experience) or complete a phlebotomy training program to be more competitive for phlebotomy positions. Many students hoping to go on to nursing or medical school work as phlebotomists to get direct patient care experience. Please reach out with questions.
– High school graduate or equivalent and at least one of the following:
– At least two (2) years experience in laboratory specimen processing and/or phlebotomy; or
– Successful completion of a phlebotomy program through a postsecondary school or college accredited by a regional or national accrediting organization recognized by the U.S. Dept of Education; or
– Laboratory related college courses including Clinical Laboratory Assisant associate degree program or bachelor’s degree coursework in Biology, Chemistry, or related fields.
– Washington State Medical Assistant-Phlebotomist certification to be obtained within the first 6 months of employment.
– Completion of an approved phlebotomy program
– Phlebotomy Certification by an agency approved by the U.S. Department of Education or National Commission for Health Certifying Agencies (NCHCA). A.S.C.P. or N.C.A grants common credentials.
– Pediatric phlebotomy experience
– Bilingual skills.
– Associate or Bachelor’s degree in laboratory-related field
– Eligibility to obtain Washington State Medical Assistant-Registered certification to allow for application of topical anesthetic cream