Development & Communications Specialist
Public Health Institute
Posting Number: #168-19
Position Title: Development & Communications Specialist
Application Link: https://apptrkr.com/1563381
Join an exciting team of advocates for girls and women at Rise Up, based at The Public Health Institute (PHI)! Rise Up is hiring a Development & Communications Specialist.
Rise Up activates women and girls to transform their lives, families and communities for a more just and equitable world through investment in local solutions, strengthening leadership, and building movements. Since 2009, Rise Up’s powerful network of over 500 leaders has directly benefited 7 million girls, youth, and women, advocating for over 100 laws and policies impacting 115 million people in Africa, Latin America, South Asia, and the U.S. For more information, please visit https://riseuptogether.org/
Rise Up is based at PHI, an independent, nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting health, well-being and quality of life for people throughout California, across the nation and around the world. As one of the largest and most comprehensive public health organizations in the nation, we are at the forefront of research and innovations to improve the efficacy of public health statewide, nationally and internationally. PHI was distinguished as one of the top 50 “Best Non-profit Organizations to Work For” by the Non-Profit Times in a national search. To learn more about our meaningful work visit www.phi.org.
PHI is an independent, nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting health, well-being and quality of life for people throughout California, across the nation and around the world. As one of the largest and most comprehensive public health organizations in the nation, we are at the forefront of research and innovations to improve the efficacy of public health statewide, nationally and internationally. PHI was distinguished as one of the top 50 “Best Non-profit Organizations to Work For” by the Non-Profit Times in a national search. To learn more about our meaningful work visit www.phi.org.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Rise Up is seeking an experienced Development & Communications Specialist to play a vital role on our team at an exciting time of organizational growth and expansion. Reporting to our Development and Partnerships Manager, you will support institutional and individual fundraising efforts. You will also support Rise Up’s communications work as needed working closely with our Communications Associate.
Development duties include working to coordinate fundraising events, cultivating donor relationships, tracking and processing donations, creating/editing funder reports. Communications work includes assisting with email marketing, posting social media, and other contributions to external communications as needed. This position also includes financial duties related to donations processing and event budget management.
The Specialist will be a strong writer and problem-solver possessing the ability to be extremely detail-oriented with stellar organizational, verbal, and written communication skills. A skilled understanding of donor relationships and fundraising are also beneficial to this position. The applicant should be interested and have experience in helping to grow Rise Up’s development work. They should also be comfortable curating and posting organization based content for social media using platforms like Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, and Twitter.
• Serves as the liaison to our Leadership Council and coordinates quarterly meetings, events, and LC member stewardship and recruitment.
• Supports set-up and build-out of a donor database (Salesforce) and provides ongoing database maintenance and reporting.
• Processes and tracks all donations, liaisons with fiscal sponsor on donations, and administers all acknowledgements.
• Coordinates logistics for fundraising events, including the Annual Breakfast.
• Researches and seeks out new funding sources, opportunities for donor engagement, and coordinates donor appeals.
• Assists in gathering relevant impact data for funder reports, proposals and communications.
• Supports monthly newsletter development process and provides ongoing copywriting and editing of collateral, content, and other written communications as needed.
• Supports set-up and build-out of a contact management in database (Salesforce) and provides ongoing contact maintenance and segmentation.
• Manages and maintains contact lists on email platform (Mail Chimp).
• Supports day-to-day social media efforts, including curating and posting content across platforms, developing and distributing social media toolkits + guides, and assisting in overall organizational social media strategy.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree required
• At least one year of experience supporting development and communications efforts in the non-profit or global / public health sector
• Excellent writing and relationship building skills
• Strong administration and logistic coordination skills
• Excellent communication with team members and funders
• Demonstrated ability to work with and in diverse communities and cultures
• Ability to work well independently and on a team in a fast-paced environment
• Commitment to advancing social justice for girls, youth, and women globally
• Advanced computer skills in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, database software
• Knowledge of and experience with Sales Force
• Excellent organizational and analytical skills
• We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, people with disabilities, immigrant, bilingual, and bicultural individuals.
• This is a full-time (40 hours per week) position based in Oakland, CA.
• This position is eligible for PHI’s full suite of benefits including but not limited to medical, dental, and vision coverage, health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts, and generous time off.
How to Apply
• To apply for this opportunity, submit a cover letter and resume via the application link listed at the top of this advertisement.
• In your cover letter, please describe why you are enthusiastic about this opportunity and why you think you are a good fit for the position.
The Public Health Institute is proud to be an EEO/AA employer. We recognize the value of having a staff that brings a wide range of perspectives to this work based on language, ethnicity, race, gender, socio-economic background, political beliefs, disability and sexual orientation. We are committed to maintaining a diverse, multicultural working environment and particularly support applications from individuals with lived experience in the communities we seek to serve.
Thank you for your interest in working with us at PHI. Do you have questions about this opportunity? If so, email our recruitment team at Recruitment@phi.org. Please do not email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our career site. Given the high volume of responses we receive from a combination of job boards, please allow up to one week for a reply.