The Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking a Research Associate to conduct in vitro and in vivo/ex vivo studies investigating the pathophysiology of aortic aneurysm, and in particular the transgenerational impacts of nicotine and vaping on vascular risk.
The responsibilities will include animal breeding, treatment, microsurgery, and imaging, as well as cellular and molecular biology studies and assays including, for example, cell culture and transfections, qRT-PCR, RNA, and DNA isolation and preparation, ELISAs, tissue histology and microscopy.
For more information about the study, please refer to https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/atvb.39.suppl_1.266 and https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/atvb.39.suppl_1.446
PAVIR, located on the premises of the VA Palo Alto Health Care System, is a mid-size nonprofit foundation, closely connected with the VA and Stanford University. We are a nimble organization, offering ongoing training, opportunities for growth, generous benefits, great work-life balance, as well as friendly, close-knit, and supportive environment. At PAVIR we work with more than 160 uniquely talented medical scientists across a broad spectrum of research areas. We recruit talented employees who believe in making a difference in the lives of others through innovative research.
This is a full-time, Exempt (salaried) position. Location: Palo Alto, CA.
- Medical Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Sick Pay
- 13 paid Holidays
- Life Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Long-term and Short-Term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Flexible Spending Account
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company Match and Profit Share
- Wellness Program
- Commuter Benefits
- Professional Development Training
PAVIR is affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check.
- Conduct experiments using cellular and molecular biology techniques and assays, including cell culture and transfections, qRT-PCR, RNA, and DNA isolation and preparation, ELISAs, tissue histology and microscopy, etc.;
- Perform animal treatment, microsurgery, and imaging, as well as animal breeding;
- Conduct minor rodent surgeries, including pump implantation;
- Collect and analyze data for study/program;
- Write up data for presentations, papers, and grant proposals.
- Required: Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent experience) in medical sciences, molecular biology, cell biology, or related field;
- Desired: Master’s degree in medical sciences, molecular biology, cell biology, or related field.
- Cell culture experience;
- Animal handling experience, specifically working with mice.
- 2+ years of related research experience in vascular biology;
- Microsurgical training and experience.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Proven knowledge in field of research;
- Experience in a variety of research techniques/methods and follow-up data collection;
- Knowledge of research procedures and protocols gained through education or experience;
- Ability to work independently and within a team context;
- Effective communication skills (written and verbal), including public speaking skills;
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail;
- Proven technical and analytical skills;
- Ability to troubleshoot an experiment as necessary;
- Proficiency with a computer;
- Knowledge of math and statistics, experience with PRISM and Excel preferred.
Physical Demands: Lifting up to 10-20 lbs occasionally. Sitting for extended periods of time, repetitive movements (small animal surgery).
Environmental Conditions: Exposure to wet lab environment, bloodborne pathogens, toxic/caustic chemicals or reagents.
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: www.pavir.org
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org – Human Resources department.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.