Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is looking for a full-time Research Assistant to join Dr. Constance Chu’s laboratory in Orthopaedic Surgery and Sports Medicine at the VA Palo Alto and contribute to our mission to improve healing after joint injuries and to prevent post-traumatic osteoarthritis. This is an exciting opportunity to participate in innovative translational research from bench to bedside in the area of osteoarthritis and joint preservation.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
Dr. Chu’s laboratory leads multiple clinical trials in ACL and meniscus injured patients and uses human samples and small animal models to comprehensively understand cartilage repair and prevention of post-traumatic OA and to devise novel pharmacological treatments and cell-based therapies.
The ideal candidate has prior success with cell culture, proteomic assays, animal work, and is a team player willing to learn new things.
This position is mainly in the laboratory and animal facility, and occasionally in the gait laboratory or OR. The Research Assistant will be directly involved in the execution of laboratory assays and cell culture, animal research activities and human biospecimens with some interactions with human subjects. The Research Assistant will conduct experiments that involve coordinating a complex experimental protocol, collaborate with the senior scientists working on defined research projects, and support the laboratory’s clinical research when needed.
Schedule: you may be asked to work extended or unusual work hours based on research needs. You will receive overtime pay for all hours worked more than 8 hours a day and 40 hours a week.
PAVIR offers generous benefits, including comprehensive health insurance, vision, dental, 14 paid holidays, paid vacation time, sick pay, a 401(k) with a fully vested 6% company match and 3% profit share, a wellness program, commuter benefits, and professional development training. Plus, we pay for life, short-term disability, and long-term disability insurance.
ABOUT PALO ALTO VETERANS INSTITUTE FOR RESEARCH (PAVIR)
PAVIR engages in the administration of funds and providing support for the conduct of research at the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. At PAVIR we work with more than 160 uniquely talented medical scientists. Our researchers have an active appointment with the VA Palo Alto Health Care System and most maintain academic appointments with Stanford University. We recruit and retain talented employees who believe in making a difference in the lives of others through innovative health research.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES OF A RESEARCH ASSISTANT
- Assist in obtaining human clinical samples from Stanford or VA OR in collaboration with clinical research coordinators and perform laboratory procedures to process and store human specimens obtained;
- Maintain biorepository systems;
- Independently conduct laboratory experiments focusing on proteomic assays, analyses and interpretation of research data, and maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
- Assist in performing animal (rodent) studies on a regular basis in collaboration with the senior scientists. This includes direct handling of research animals and maintaining animal-related documents.
- Document experimental methods and procedures, and ability to learn new knowledge related to projects.
- Participate in weekly group meetings and contribute to preparing written documents as needed.
- Occasional travel to BMI laboratory at Stanford;
- Assist with general laboratory maintenance as needed in collaboration with the lab manager.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR A RESEARCH ASSISTANT
- Bachelor’s degree (or Senior-year Bachelor students with a graduation date scheduled for 2021) or equivalent experience.
- Experience with cell culture and ability to learn research skills.
- Comfortable with rodent handling.
- Valid Driver’s License required.
- Previous laboratory experience with animal handling/experimentation desired.
- 1 year of related work experience in a lab setting, including experience with proteomic assays desired.
- Demonstrated ability to apply theoretical knowledge of science principals to handle research work.
- Ability to maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
- Basic computer skills and ability to learn and master new applications.
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability on following instructions.
- Ability to left up to 50 lbs, squat, bend, push/pull, perform repetitive hand movement, grasping and fine manipulation.
ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS: Exposure to wet lab environment, bloodborne pathogens, toxic/caustic chemicals or reagents.
READY TO JOIN OUR RESEARCH TEAM? If you feel that you would be right for this job, please fill out our initial 3-minute, mobile-friendly application. We look forward to meeting you!
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact email@example.com – Human Resources department.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.