The Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking a Lab Assistant to support the research projects and infrastructure of the Goronzy laboratory, which includes approximately 10 students, research fellows and research associates. The Lab Assistant will manage chemical and biohazard reagents, order supplies, set up, maintain and troubleshoot instruments, perform tissue culture techniques, as well as assist with training lab members to adhere to existing policies.
The Goronzy lab is interested in understanding how a functional immune system is maintained with age, despite failing regenerative capacity and accumulating impacts by challenges from exogenous and latent infections. We study mechanisms, at the system as well as the single cell level, that contribute to declining immunity and to the higher frequency of some autoimmune diseases with age. We primarily work with human blood specimens or cell lines. See http://med.stanford.edu/goronzylab.html
There is a possibility that this position will at some point convert to a VA-paid position, meaning that instead of being a PAVIR employee this Lab Assistant will be employed directly by the VA.
This is a full-time (40 hours/week), non-exempt (hourly-paid) position. Location: Palo Alto, CA.
Pay rate range is $19.80 – $22 per hour. Benefits:
- Medical Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Sick Pay
- 13 paid Holidays
- Life Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Long-term and Short-Term Disability Insurance – paid by PAVIR
- Flexible Spending Account
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company Match and Profit Share
- Wellness Program
- Commuter Benefits
PAVIR is affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check.
- General lab organization and maintenance, including placing orders and keeping records;
- Perform routine lab procedures;
- Track expenditures related to specific projects and grants;
- Organize lab, computer workspace and freezer/refrigerator when necessary;
- Communicate regularly with lab staff to ensure coordination in supply ordering and receiving;
- Maintain and troubleshoot instruments.
- Assist researchers with ongoing research projects, including isolating primary cells, culturing of cell lines, immunoblotting, immunohistochemistry, PCR, ChIP assays, maintaining accurate laboratory notes reflecting data acquired.
- Assist in donor recruitment, organize blood sample acquisition, maintain donor database in RedCap;
- Maintain IRB compliance.
- Assist with training laboratory assistants and students.
- Maintain laboratory compliance with regards to biosafety, chemical safety and handling safety inspections.
- Maintain inventory database for biological samples, plasmids and reagents;
- Other duties as assigned by the Principal Investigator.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent experience) in biology or a related discipline is required.
EXPERIENCE: 1-2 years lab experience desired, including lab maintenance, ordering supplies, and troubleshooting instruments.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Must have strong desire to support the research operations in a fast pace lab;
- Excellent knowledge of laboratory safety procedures, as required by the VA Research and Safety regulations;
- Understanding and working knowledge of research lab requirements is desirable;
- Knowledge of safe handling/storage of biohazardous chemicals;
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail;
- Ability to work independently, but also to work as part of the lab team;
- Experience with tissue culture techniques;
- Effective communication skills orally and in writing;
- Excellent interpersonal skills to assist other research staff.
Physical Demands: Lifting up to 20 lbs. occasionally, standing, bending, repetitive movement, etc.
Environmental Conditions: Exposure to wet lab environment, human blood samples, blood borne pathogens, and toxic or caustic chemical or reagents. No travel, except occasional shuttle to Stanford.
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: www.pavir.org
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact email@example.com – Human Resources department.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.