At Motorola Solutions, we create technologies our customers refer to as their lifeline. Our technology platforms in communications, software, video and services help our customers work safely and more efficiently. Whether it’s helping firefighters see through smoke, enabling police officers to see around street corners, or reliably keeping the lights on in homes and businesses around the world, our work supports those who put their lives on the line to keep us safe. Bring your passion, potential and talents to Motorola Solutions, and help us usher in a new era in public safety and security.
Our Applied Technology organization puts some of Motorola Solutions' brightest minds on unique, highly challenging projects. Based on decades of experience with our customers, we apply leading-edge technologies to support security and safety throughout the world. We engineer our products from start to finish and manufacture them in-house. We're known for low volume and high capability with focused specialization in areas including software-defined radios, advanced antenna solutions, artificial intelligence and machine learning, cybersecurity, signals intelligence and more. We can't tell you much more about what we do, but we can tell you it's amazing.
Candidates for this position are software engineering students who want real-world development experience on products being delivered to our customers.You will be involved in the development of software for one or more projects involving our Software Defined Radio (SDR) or custom RF communication system. You will be part of a small (1-6 person), multi-disciplinary team that has full responsibility for product development from requirements gathering to final product delivery. You may be involved in all areas of development (i.e. requirements analysis, high and low level design, coding, documentation, and testing and validation). Our products are developed to very high standards of quality and reliability and you will have the opportunity to learn the department’s software process during all development activities.
- Ideal candidates have experience working with communications protocols, operating system internals, Linux and/or Android development, or driver development.
- This position is for embedded software work, and therefore is not a good match for developers wishing to focus on .NET, C#, Rails, or other high level application/web technologies.
- You must possess knowledge in (or an interest in) microprocessor-based hardware design. Working in a small project team, your tasks will often involve hands-on interaction with product hardware for developing and debugging.
- In this position, you will need a willingness to learn one or more wireless communication standards (e.g., GSM, UMTS,CDMA, LTE).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are important. You will present status of your progress to other team members and to management. You may also have the opportunity to interact with our customers.
- NOTE: A candidate for full-time employee in our department must be a U.S. citizen with ability to obtain necessary security clearance as required by government contract. As an intern there will not be a need to apply for security clearance, but if an internship is converted to a full-time position, the candidate must obtain the necessary security clearance.
- Candidates with an active security clearance are encouraged to apply.
- Candidate must be pursuing a Bachelors or Masters degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Software Engineering or related engineering degree
- Candidate graduation date must occur between December 2019 and June 2020
- Candidate must be a U.S. citizen with ability to obtain necessary security clearance as required by government contract. (See note below)
- You should be skilled in Java, C, C++, or Dalvik. Strong preference will be given to candidates also familiar with working in a Linux development environment. Clearcase or GIT skills are also a plus.