At Larry Walker Associates, we combine technical expertise and creativity with a strong commitment to understanding and meeting the needs of our clients. Our expertise includes environmental and chemical engineering, database management, GIS, numerical modeling, aquatic toxicology, water quality monitoring, statistical analyses, data quality assurance, pollution prevention, technical report preparation, graphic design, and public outreach. We serve our clients on a broad range of projects ranging from traditional water and wastewater engineering to highly specialized water quality, stormwater, and watershed management services. LWA staff combine in-depth knowledge of environmental regulations with engineering and science skills to provide high-quality products and services in an increasingly complex regulatory environment.
Our company thrives in our passion for excellence, our ability to create lasting and effective solutions for the benefit of the public, and we strive to cultivate and sustain meaningful relationships between staff and our community of clients.
LWA seeks enthusiastic and motivated individuals looking to grow their experience in surface water, groundwater, wastewater, and stormwater engineering, regulation, and science. The successful candidate will work under senior supervision and alongside professional staff on projects that include:
- Regulatory analysis
- Quantitative data, statistical, and geospatial analyses
- Surface and groundwater monitoring and special studies
- Development of watershed and groundwater management plans and reports;
- TMDL development, planning, and implementation
- Wastewater and stormwater NPDES permitting
- Salt and nutrient management planning
- Related civil/environmental engineering
Highly Desired Characteristics
- Strong critical, strategic, and creative thinker with exceptional interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent writing skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Effective time management and follow-through
- Capable of handling multiple tasks/projects and meeting deadlines
- Receptive to direction and constructive feedback
- Able to work independently and as part of a highly functioning team
Preferred Combination of Skills & Experience
- Understanding of and experience working with water quality regulations, policy analysis, and compliance;
- Knowledge of water quality control principles and physical, biological, and chemical factors relating to control of water pollution and management of surface water and/or groundwater resources;
- Familiarity with watershed planning, best management practice implementation, and TMDLs;
- Understanding of conceptual model development and/or numerical modeling of surface water and/or groundwater, at site-specific, watershed, and regional scales;
- Experience with water quality monitoring and methods used to collect and analyze surface water, groundwater, and environmental data, including an understanding of and ability to perform complex data analyses using appropriate environmental statistical methods;
- Experience with database management, ArcGIS, Spatial Analyst, and GIS web applications;
- Ability to develop and maintain web-based interfaces, portals, and dashboards to present complex environmental data, information, and results.
Required Education and Experience
A master’s degree from an engineering or science program with an environmental, hydrology, biology, ecology, or toxicology emphasis, OR a bachelor’s degree from an engineering or science program with an environmental, hydrology, biology, ecology, or toxicology emphasis plus a minimum of at least 2 summers of relevant internship experience in the water quality and engineering field.