The process engineering team in the operations department at Kettle Cuisine is looking for students or graduates seeking a 3-month summer internship experience in the food and beverage industry. Successful candidates will have a keen interest in applying their technical education and skills to projects in a fast-paced and dynamic manufacturing setting. This is a full-time, paid position with a target start date of mid-June 2023.
Project work will depend on business need at the time of hire and assignments may be focused on quality engineering or process engineering. This may include implementation of real-time quality monitoring systems, statistical process control (SPC) and analysis, and/or optimization of equipment capability and material flows for one or more food manufacturing processes.
Role and Responsibilities
- Develop and execute plan and tasks for one or more projects based on objectives defined at start of internship.
- Provide weekly progress updates to project stakeholders and supervisor toward project goals.
- Organize and maintain detailed project files and exercise excellent technical communication to internal customers.
- Work with adjacent functional areas including Safety, Quality, and IT as needed to accomplish project objectives.
- Deliver final presentation to the site leadership team summarizing assignments and outcomes.
Qualifications and Experience
- Relevant work experience in food manufacturing, construction services, facility management, food service, or restaurant/hospitality.
- Previous internship in food production or pharmaceutical manufacturing setting or similar highly desired.
- 2-3 years of coursework completed toward a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering majoring in Chemical, Mechanical, Industrial, Electrical or Controls.
- Coursework or certificates in food science, food safety or advanced statistics highly desired.
- Self-starter able to conceptualize and drive initiatives forward
- Positive attitude and motivated by contributing to the overall success of the team
- Able to develop strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Obsessive attention to detail, well organized and able to juggle many projects at once
- Comfortable moving at a fast pace and in ambiguous environments
- Passionate about food
- Willing to address difficult situations head on with patience and respect
As a key member of the Kettle Cuisine Team You Are Expected To:
- Model and support Kettle’s Core Values and safety culture
- Create a culture of accountability & performance
- Drive a focus on quality and continuous improvement
- Plan work, track results and resolve variances
LEVEL OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Works with little supervision, but work is reviewed. Exercises discretion within areas of responsibility.
- Recommends actions and alternatives to supervisor and others.
- Position has little to no contact with customers.
- Position makes indirect contribution to efforts that generate moderate levels of revenue.
- Decisions or actions may have a moderate impact on other departments and/or external relationships of the organization. Errors are usually detected after the fact and may result in moderate interruption and delays in work output.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those encountered while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Work requires occasional physical exertion, including some lifting of objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
Mental & Visual Demands
- Work performed by this position requires moderate concentration to effectively execute moderately complex tasks.
- Work occasionally requires some degree of visual effort for periods of time.
Work Environment and Hazards
- Employee works in a manufacturing setting with some exposure to heat, cold, dust, or other factors of minor inconvenience.
- No travel offsite is required for this position.
- Must have availability and flexibility to work different shifts and days. May need to work weekends or overtime as required.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT
Kettle Cuisine complies with all aspects of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and state disability laws. This means we will not discriminate against qualified individuals with a disability in any phase of the employment relationship including application for employment, hiring, promotions and/or advancement opportunities, termination, compensation, training and any other conditions or privileges of employment.
Kettle Cuisine takes the utmost pride in its people, products and reputation. Each employee is expected to understand and live our Core Values every day.
- Honor Food – We create and produce the best tasting, safest, all-natural recipes that strive for perfection in every batch, from bench to kettle
- Honor Each Other – We seek to develop trusting, respectful and mutually rewarding relationships with all our team members and business partners
- Honor Development – We recognize and nurture each other’s talents, strengths and interests in order to further strengthen and grow our team
- Honor Innovation – We continually strive for creative and sustainable ways to achieve excellence