As NASA prepares to send humans to the moon and beyond, we need to build a better understanding of how spaceflight affects living systems. The Rodent Research Project at NASA’s Ames Research Center (ARC) provides mouse habitats and food that allow researchers to study and answer these fundamental questions aboard the International Space Station.
KBR is looking for a Support Scientist to join our team to support the Rodent Research Project in the research, review, evaluation, and formulation of changes to the Rodent Research hardware, software, and/or food bar technical baselines, as well as help execute the development and delivery of rodent food and determine impacts of changes in nutrients of the food. Responsibilities include supporting the Project Scientist with the creation of presentations and participation in meetings with stakeholders, fellow researchers, and technical experts in applicable fields; drafting test plans; and writing of papers for publication. Tasks may also include providing support to the Rodent Food Bar Lead by supporting food bar productions, completing food storage area inspections, coordinating refrigerator cleanings, and submitting and managing science and food bar material procurements. Please note this is a Part-time, 20 hour per week position.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Performing analysis and interpretation of data and writing test reports and documents.
- Conducting appropriate literature searches; summarizing and performing interpretation of findings clearly and concisely and in a timely manner.
- Conducting lab work effectively by maintaining accurate records of experiments and analyses performed.
- Designing and performing basic experimental tests with rodents and/or rodent hardware.
- Performing collaboration with engineers and technicians to assess impacts of rodent hardware changes (with supervision from Project Scientist). Translating basic scientific concepts to non-scientists either in written or oral form.
- Actively participating in team meetings, as well as meetings with stakeholders and collaborators.
- Contributing to the overall activities and objectives of the science team and Project as required.
- Reviewing animal food related Statement of Work (SOW) documents
- Providing reviews and input to rodent food inventory and quantities of rodent food to be ordered.
- Supporting coordination and negotiations with Food Production Vendors and reviewing procurements.
- Performing process engineering with food bar vendors.
- Serving as Science and Technical monitor for food bar productions at Vendor.
- Coordinating Nutrient Analysis, including shipping samples, receiving, reviewing, and approving results.
- Reviewing and approving irradiation results.
- Providing training in aseptic technique.
- Supervising or participating in Food Bar Kit builds.
- Coordinating analytical testing as needed.
- Performing inspections of food storage areas.
Bachelor’s in a science discipline (i.e. Biology, Life Sciences, Physiology) and 3+ years of relevant experience, or a master’s degree in an applicable science discipline.
- Outstanding technical writing skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks, coordinate tasks with others, and meet multiple deadlines.
- Self-motivated, team-player; excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Laboratory work experience.
- Extensive knowledge of in vivo rodent research models and rodent handling.
- Extensive knowledge of and experience working with aseptic technique.
- Basic computer skills. e.g., MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint or their equivalents.
Desired Education, Experience, Skills or Training:
- Experience or background in rodent/animal science.
- Experience or background in animal nutrition or murine food chemistry.
- Experience with Good Laboratory Practices (GLP) and Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP).
- Experience with space flight bioscience projects involving rodents, and/or International Space Station Missions.
- Project Management or Project Coordination experience.
- Master’s degree in an applicable science discipline with professional experience.