Environmental Engagement Specialist
Washington Service Corps – AmeriCorps Position
with Delridge Neighborhoods Development Association
About Washington Service Corps: WSC AmeriCorps members are placed with schools, nonprofit organizations, state, local and tribal government agencies to address a variety of unmet and pressing community needs. The skills you learn during service can help you prepare for a future career!
About Delridge Neighborhoods Development Association: DNDA is a non-profit organization based in the Delridge neighborhood of West Seattle. The mission of DNDA is to integrate Art, Nature and Neighborhood to build and sustain a dynamic Delridge.
This position includes performing program outreach, volunteer recruitment and coordination as well as conducting volunteer based forest restoration work parties (this work includes invasive plant removal, installing native plants, and mulching on project sites). Additionally, this member will be involved in data input and management along with completing fieldwork that supports our restoration goals. The Environmental Engagement Specialist will assist our Urban Forest Restoration Program and Wetland Stewardship team.
· Independently run monthly volunteer events. Provide environmental education activity in line with WSC requirements. Collect environmental education outcomes at these events and track progress.
· Implement new volunteer management practices. Develop ways to improve how DNDA interacts and reflects with our volunteers.
· Review volunteer event data. Manage transition of environmental volunteer data collection from excel to Salesforce.
· Create outreach materials and connect with community groups. Attend tabling events to educate community members about our work.
· Create online content, like blog posts and social media posts, to promote programming.
· Fieldwork assistance and site preparation for volunteer events.
· Provide support for the Wetland Stewardship team’s environmental education programming.
Position Schedule: Tuesday – Saturday, 8:00am – 4:30pm
10 months long (1700 Hours Required). Start date October 1st, 2021. End date Aug 15th, 2022.
Applicants must be 18 years of age or older. It is preferred that applicants have access to a car, as well as interest in environmental preservation, community engagement, and working with youth.
· Knowledge of local environment
· Environmental restoration techniques
· Volunteer recruitment
· Public speaking
· Youth development
WSC AmeriCorps members receive – a monthly living allowance of $1,945.24 (before taxes), basic health insurance coverage, education award of $6,495 upon successful completion, training and professional experience, student loan forbearance, and subsidized childcare if qualified.
How to Apply:
Applications must be submitted online through the My AmeriCorps portal: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=105194. We will be accepting applications until the position is filled.