The Health Scholar program allows you to gain first-hand experience in both clinical and administrative healthcare settings and become an integral part of the patient care team. You will assist with basic care for patients alongside nurses, physicians and other clinicians, and have opportunities to learn the “business” of health care preparing you for your health care career. This program is offered year-round with enrollment occurring every quarter. Most individuals graduate from the program in 15 months after completing 250 hours of health care experience with a commitment of one 4-hour shift per week. For those looking to complete the program faster, we offer 9-month and 3-month options where you will receive priority shift selection in order to finish at an accelerated pace. Additionally, upon graduation, scholars will receive a completion certificate from UCLA Executive Programs in Health Policy and Management. The program is offered at various health care sites throughout California, Washington and Hawaii.
See all of our program locations for details on opportunities available at each site.
Pre-health students & graduates (e.g. pre-med, pre-nursing, health administration)
- Decide if a career in health care is right for you and which profession is the best fit
- Fulfill clinical experience hours required or preferred by medical, nursing and other graduate programs in health care
- Gain an inside view of medical specialties as you rotate through many areas in the hospital or ambulatory care setting
Professional school students & graduates (e.g. nursing, physician assistant, allied health)
- Gain clinical experience employers look for in candidates
- Develop relationships with clinical staff and leaders within your program site
- Decide what type of clinical setting (e.g. hospital, ambulatory clinic) is the best fit for you
Tuition & Fees
Application Fee: $20
- 15-month (Standard) $225
- 9-month $395
- 3-month $495