City Year was founded in 1988 on the belief that young people can change the world. City Year is an education-focused, nonprofit organization that unites young people of all backgrounds for a year of full-time service aimed at keeping students in school and on track to graduation. At City Year’s 28 urban locations across the U.S. and two international affiliates, teams of trained young people called AmeriCorps members serve full-time in schools during the academic year as tutors, mentors and role models. By focusing on attendance, behavior and course performance, which identify students who are at risk of not graduating on time, AmeriCorps members are positioned to help students and schools succeed.Your service will focus on helping students get and/or remain on track to graduate by providing academic support, delivering behavior and attendance coaching and encouraging student engagement to promote a positive school climate. Beginning each day before the first school bell rings and staying until the last child leaves the after-school program; you’ll serve students, schools and communities through:
- Academic Support: Planning tutoring sessions and providing one-on-one or small group literacy and/or math tutoring before, during and after school; partnering with teachers and school staff to create and facilitate academic events and learning activities; regularly document students’ academic progress
- Attendance and Positive Behavior Encouragement: Leading energetic morning greetings, making attendance and positive phone calls to home, facilitating small group and one-to-one social-emotional skills development programs
- Community and School Improvements: Organizing and leading activities, celebrations and projects to improve the community and school environment
Team-based service is at the heart of City Year. You will be assigned to a diverse team of 8-15 young adults and you will serve with that team for the duration f the year.
- Be able to dedicate 11 months to full-time service
- Be able to join City Year by July 2018; start dates vary by location
- Be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident