At CSIS we actively seek to employ a diverse group of people who embody our organizational values. We welcome and encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply, especially those from traditionally underrepresented groups.
The Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) is a non-profit, bipartisan public policy organization established in 1962 to provide strategic insights and practical policy solutions to decision makers concerned with global security and prosperity. Over the years, it has grown to be one of the largest organizations of its kind, with a staff of some 200 employees, including more than 120 analysts working to address the changing dynamics of international security across the globe.
The CSIS China Power Project is seeking interns to support the program’s work. There are two (2) available positions for January through May 2022. Our project examines the evolving nature of Chinese power relative to other countries through quantitative and qualitative analysis. We publish data-driven features regularly on the ChinaPower research website (chinapower.csis.org).In addition to our work on Chinese power, our experts also conduct research on Chinese foreign and security policy, U.S.-China relations, maritime security, and the broader Indo-Pacific security architecture, amongst other issues.
Because of the fast-paced work environment, we are looking for motivated self-starters that can engage in a wide variety of analytic and logistical work.
This is a paid internship.
Essential duties and responsibilities
Essential functions may include, but are not limited to the following
● Conduct writing and data analysis for website content
● Assist with research for articles, presentations, and podcast series
● Proofread and edit assorted content
● Maintain the program’s active social media presence
● Monitor, track, and report on events across the Indo-Pacific region, especially those dealing with China
● Provide logistical and administrative support
● Assist with virtual event planning
● Perform a variety of other project-related duties as assigned
Knowledge, education, and experience
● Bachelor’s degree required
● Must have at least a 3.0 GPA (on a 4.0 scale) from an accredited U.S. institution or equivalent from a non-U.S. institution
● Must be eligible to work in the United States and commit 35 hours per week
● Must have an academic or professional background in Chinese foreign policy, economics, and/or politics
● Must have exceptional writing skills
● Must have previous experience with collecting, curating, and analyzing data
● Must have strong communication and interpersonal skills
● Must have the ability to work independently with minimal oversight
● Must have demonstrated experience managing competing priorities and multiple projects under tight deadlines
Strongly preferred qualifications
● Applicants that have recently completed or are currently enrolled in a Master’s program
● Native or fluent Mandarin language skills are strongly desired for one of the two intern positions
● Previous experience in copy-editing
● Strong background in quantitative and qualitative data analysis
Physical requirements and work conditions
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee working in an office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to apply
Interested applicants should submit a résumé (including GPA), cover letter, college transcript, and 3-5 page writing sample at https://careers.csis.org/. The deadline for applying is Sunday, December 12 at 1159 pm ET.
To submit an application for this position, click the “Apply” button below, and you will be redirected to our secure recruitment portal.