Caribou Biosciences, Inc. is a leading clinical-stage CRISPR genome editing biotechnology company located in Berkeley, CA. Caribou’s tools and technologies provide transformative capabilities to therapeutic development and the company is advancing an internal pipeline of genome-edited cell therapies for various oncology indications. Caribou was founded in 2011 by CRISPR pioneers including Nobel Prize winner Jennifer Doudna, PhD, Martin Jinek, PhD, and Rachel Haurwitz, PhD, our President and CEO. The company has developed a best-in-class CRISPR genome editing technology platform and has a leading intellectual property position.
At Caribou, every employee is valued for their unique perspective, background, and diversity. Every person on the Caribou team contributes to problem solving and innovation. The Company’s vision is to advance agile genome editing innovations for the benefit of our communities.
We are seeking a Research Associate/Senior Research Associate to join our Molecular Engineering group. Our group provides protein chemistry support to our preclinical programs and technology development projects. We play a vital role in advancing our technology platform by establishing methods for the expression and purification of novel proteins, developing biochemical assays, and providing biochemistry expertise to collaborative projects. You may take on independent projects borne out of your own desire to innovate or through collaboration with Scientists and Research Associates across the company.
Responsibilities will include:
- Perform protein production activities, including bacterial expression and purification
- Operate and maintain FPLC systems
- Pack and validate chromatography columns
- Analyze purified proteins using biochemical assays, SDS-PAGE and other methods
- Design, troubleshoot and optimize protein expression and purification strategies at a small scale, then scale-up processes as needed
- Develop new assays and technological capabilities
- Prepare documentation, maintain records, and develop internal quality assurance systems
Candidate must possess:
- A positive attitude, and a desire to work collaboratively with colleagues of diverse professional and cultural backgrounds
- BSc. or equivalent in Biochemistry, Biochemical Engineering, Molecular Biology, or related field
- Experience in the biotech industry or in an academic, research, or manufacturing laboratory
- Experience with recombinant protein purification, and chromatography using FPLC systems
- Strong organizational, time management, and communication skills
- MSc. or equivalent in Biochemistry, Biochemical Engineering, Molecular Biology, or related field
- Experience in rational protein engineering or directed protein evolution
- Bacterial, mammalian, or yeast-based protein expression systems
- Use of bioreactors for protein expression
- Operation and maintenance of HPLC systems
- An understanding of analytical approaches for protein characterization
- Experience working in a cGLP or cGMP environment
- 2-5 years’ experience in a biotechnology or biopharma industry setting
Caribou Biosciences, Inc. is a dynamic start-up biotechnology company, and the successful candidate should have a passion for science and a desire to work in a collaborative environment. Caribou promotes a culture in which employees are respected and valued for hard work, innovation, personal initiative, and teamwork.
Caribou compensation and benefits:
- Comprehensive compensation package including stock options
- Generous paid vacation time in addition to Company-observed holidays
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement savings plan including matching employer contributions
- Tuition reimbursement program
Caribou is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding), genetic information, taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, or any other basis protected by law. In addition, Caribou prohibits the harassment of any individual on any of the bases listed above or any other characteristics protected under federal, state, or local laws. Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
Caribou is on Twitter. Follow the Company @CaribouBio.