The Internet Services Operations team is looking for recent college graduates with passion, curiosity, and drive to build and run the Apple services that millions of people use every day. We are hiring high quality individuals with a diverse set of skills and backgrounds for positions on Apple's internal and public facing web properties including iCloud, iTunes and Maps. As an NCG SRE in ISO, you'll be assigned a mentor, work closely with other experienced engineers, and attend company development events to facilitate your personal and professional growth. You'll discover how to align your talents and interests, then apply your theoretical knowledge to practical solutions that make a significant impact on the team and the company.
Apple is one of a handful of companies that operate at web-scale, running services across geographically dispersed data centers for hundreds of millions of users. You'll gain valuable career experience facing unique challenges in this blended development / operational role. Site Reliability Engineers have a deep understanding of product internals and are simultaneously focused on the optimal availability, scalability, and manageability of those services. ISO runs on Linux and uses a mix of open source and internally developed tools. You'll build and maintain these tools as well as the production infrastructure software on which our services run. With this software and your own expertise, you'll solve problems with data and teamwork. When impacting events occur, SREs respond first and have the autonomy to fix code or develop alternatives.
Apple's collaborative startup mentality is all about working hard and having fun while bringing new and exciting features to market. If you have a better solution to a problem, document an improvement strategy and advocate for it through persuasion and socialization, then carry it through to completion. Good ideas are heard and results are rewarded. Apple's benefits are top tier, with generous compensation including participation in a stock purchase plan, fantastic commute alternatives, on-site cafeteria and coffee bar, catered social events, and ample personal time including the annual holiday shutdown.
• BS in Computer Science or related field.
• Demonstrated ability to write programs using a high-level programming
language like: C++, Java, Ruby, Python, or Perl.
• Strong sense of ownership, customer service, and integrity demonstrated
through clear communication.
• A passion for problem solving and the determination to eliminate repetitive
manual processes through automation with code.
• Understanding of the Linux Operating System, including Kernel, Memory,
Process, Threads, Static / Shared Libraries, IPC, Signals.
• Familiarity with standard networking protocols and components such as: HTTP,
DNS, TCP/IP, ICMP, the OSI Model, Subnetting and Load Balancing.
• Familiarity with distributed systems concepts including: the CAP Theorem,
Microservices, and the Twelve Factor App.
• Architect, author and deliver software to improve the availability, scalability and
security of Apple's internet services.
• Build and manage systems, infrastructure and applications through automation.
• Deploy, support and monitor new and existing services, platforms, and
• Use scale testing to measure, tune and optimization system performance.
• Participate in periodic on-call duties.