Intern, Research & Development Consulting
Privately-held since 1983, Alvarez & Marsal (“A&M”) is a leading global professional services firm that delivers performance improvement, turnaround management and business advisory services to organizations seeking to transform operations, catapult growth and accelerate results through decisive action. Our senior professionals are experienced operators, world-class consultants and industry veterans who draw upon the firm’s restructuring heritage to help leaders turn change into a strategic business asset, manage risk and unlock value at every stage.
A&M Taxand is the Tax practice of A&M. Our professionals work on a variety of tax technical subjects, as well as manage day-to-day client service relationships. Our people and our services are the gateway to a variety of specialized and customized tax solutions that help to improve compliance with tax authorities, while maintaining each client’s overall tax risk profile and business success.
As an R&D intern, responsibilities include:
- Work with multi-disciplinary teams to conduct research and development (R&D) tax credit consulting services, including leading interviews with client subject matter experts, writing technical memorandum, performing tax technical research, and developing quantitative work papers supporting amounts claimed.
- Assistance on federal tax consulting services, including meals and entertainment, accounting method assessments, treatment of capitalized assets, and inventories.
- Communicate directly with client personnel, including operations, finance, accounting, and engineering.
- Assist in managing and implementing multiple projects simultaneously, which include client interviews, computations, analysis, data gathering and coordination of A&M and client resources.
- Perform engagement management activities including billing analysis, invoicing and engagement setup.
- Assist with tax research, responses to IRS inquiries, drafting IRS protest letters, and writing other technical memoranda as needed.
- Apply tax technical knowledge to specific client situations and industries.
- Interface with client personnel to obtain information and delivery a high-quality project on time and on budget.
- Clearly communicate work plan and project objectives to project team
- Work as part of a multidisciplinary team.
Who will you be working with?
We are not a typical tax firm. We are a group of entrepreneurial, action oriented and results oriented tax professionals who take a hands-on approach to solving our clients’ problems and helping them reach their potential. We are nimble, resourceful, and proactive but adapt quickly when changes are needed. This position offers the opportunity to network with existing and prospective clients and allows the individual to assume additional responsibility quickly. We present you with opportunities, not a playbook, and we reward you based on your achievements, not your tenure.
- Currently pursuing a degree Bachelor of Science/Business Administration, Master of Science in Accounting, finance, economics, or a STEM discipline preferred.
- Pursuing (or intent to pursue) CPA, JD or LL.M
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to articulate complex information.
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong writing skills
- High proficiency in spreadsheets
- Ability to simultaneously work on several projects and effectively manage deadlines
- High motivation to learn and grow
- Detail-oriented and possess strong organizational skills to excel in a deadline-driven environment.