Exhibition Lighting Technician, Temporary
Academy Museum of Motion Pictures
The Academy Museum of Motion Pictures furthers the understanding, celebration, and preservation of cinema through inclusive and accessible exhibitions, screenings, programs, initiatives, and collections. Welcoming visitors from Los Angeles and around the world, the Museum works in active partnership with motion picture artists and specialists, scholars, staff, and diverse communities to contextualize and challenge dominant narratives around cinema, inspiring discourse, connection, joy, and discovery.
Reporting to the Manger of Fabrication, the temporary Exhibition Lighting Technician is responsible for the safe handling and movement of lighting equipment for gallery installations, maintenance of exhibition lighting, inventory, and de-installation of exhibitions. You will work closely with the Exhibition Lighting Technician and Manager of Fabrication.
- Install, de-install, maintain, troubleshoot equipment, supplies, and systems for museum exhibits and displays.
- Build and test prototypes or proofs-of-concept for exhibits and displays.
- Communicate and collaborate effectively with designers exhibit technicians, and other staff to follow established protocols, particularly when working with or around collections.
- Troubleshoot complex systems and solve problems.
- Update inventory and organize storage spaces for lighting.
- Hang and focus lights for exhibition spaces.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- 3+ years’ experience focusing light fixtures; demonstrating knowledge of lighting equipment, methods, practices, and safety precautions. Production or installation experience.
- Proficiency with museum and theatrical lighting equipment (e.g., track lighting systems, PAR cans, ellipsoidal, filters, gobos, lenses, dimming systems).
- Competency in reading blueprints, electrical drawings, light plots and Lightwright documents.
- Basic electronic and electrical skills (e.g., soldering, wiring, testing cables and electronic components).
- Comfort working with: Scissor lifts, boom lift, ladders, electrical and electronic tools and equipment, carpentry tools and equipment, metal shop tools and equipment, paint shop tools and equipment.
- Proficiency in MS Office including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat, and Adobe Photoshop.
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs on occasion.
- Availability to work more than 8 hours daily and Saturdays.
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision
- PTO and Sick Time
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance. The Museum Academy is committed to equal opportunity in employment and to promoting diversity in its workforce. Maintaining a diverse workforce is important to the Museum Academy. We enforce a strict policy that prohibits discrimination in hiring, training, compensation, promotion, transfer, or termination, whether on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation or genetic information. This includes a workplace that is free of all forms of harassment. To help foster diversity, we use programs that ensure fairness of opportunity, pay, and growth to all applicants and employees. Every employee is required to follow this policy and to preserve the Academy’s commitment to diversity.