Find or Create
Diversify your internship search:
- Contacts – get referrals from friends, family, professors, advisers, etc.
- Events – employer information sessions and departmental, university, and regional fairs
- Online – HuskyJobs, UW departmental websites, employer websites, internship clearinghouse sites, internet keyword searches, etc.
- Create your own – approach an organization you feel passionate about with a proposal stating how you could benefit them and what you could learn from them
Get your materials together:
- Draft and polish a resume, cover letter, intro email, and thank you email. The importance of these documents cannot be overstated; make sure they are error-free and tailored to specific internships.
- Create a professional LinkedIn profile.
- Does the internship involve meaningful work or just menial tasks?
- Does the employer seem committed to providing ongoing supervision and feedback?
- Are you genuinely interested in the internship and do you have time to fully engage in it?