If you are seeking a pre-medical, pre-dental, pre-veterinary, or global and public health-related leadership opportunity abroad, consider applying to the VAW Global Public Health Fellowship. Volunteers Around the World (VAW) is looking for Team Leaders and Chapter Presidents. This is a great way to build your resume for health professional schools and to gain strong leadership experience.
The Team Leader (TL) will have a number of responsibilities throughout the year, including recruiting a team of interns, developing a board of students, establishing VAW Global as an official club or class, attending online training and meetings, and preparing their team for an Internship Trip abroad – during Summer, Spring or Winter Break- through team workshops and fundraising.
VAW Global expects the TL to dedicate a minimum of 3-5 hours per week to this role. If you are not able to travel abroad with your team, you can assign one of the interns as a Site Leader (SL) to take over this part of the role for you.
During the Team Leader Fellowship, you will…
- Understand healthcare in a global context focused on LMICs
- Gain effective leadership experience
- Acquire International and public health work exposure
- Develop team management, cultural competence, social conscientiousness, and public speaking skills
- Shadow local physicians and learn about clinic logistics, disease diagnosis, and basic pharmacology
- Attend several orientations and workshops focused on professional development and cultural sensitivity
Find out more: Global Public Health Fellowship description
Check out other fellowships, internships, and volunteering available through VAW for medical, dental, vet, and global health-focused students!