What is FoodCorps? FoodCorps partners with schools and communities to nourish kids’ health, education, and sense of belonging. Our FoodCorps AmeriCorps members serve alongside educators and school nutrition leaders to provide kids with nourishing meals, food education, and culturally affirming experiences with food that celebrate and nurture the whole child. Building on our service program, FoodCorps develops leaders, grows networks, and advocates for policy change in service of every kid’s health and wellbeing.
As a FoodCorps service member, you’ll teach kids to grow, cook, and love the nourishing foods that celebrate their cultures and communities—and help schools serve more of those foods, too. FoodCorps recruits talented leaders into full-time, paid public service, where they grow healthy school food environments in diverse communities through hands-on, experiential food education. Service members commit for a year at a time, but for the greatest impact on kids and on your career, we encourage you to come back for a second year.
What Service Members Do:
*Teach kids about nourishing food and help schools become healthier places for them to learn and grow
* Lead hands-on lessons in the classroom and garden about growing, cooking, and tasting new foods
* Work with school nutrition directors in supporting district-wide food systems change
*Cultivate a cafeteria experience that steers students towards fresh fruits and veggies
* & much more
The ideal candidate has:
- Passion for building a healthier future for school children
- Demonstrated leadership aptitude
- Motivation and commitment to serve full-time directly in a community
- Self-determination in the face of challenges and creativity in finding solutions
- Respect for diversity of opinion, experience, and background
- Display a growth mindset by willing to grow through coaching and implementation of feedback
- Knowledge of the culture, history, and/or language of the communities we serve
- Desire to gain hands-on experience in food education
Click here to learn more and apply by March 27th! Locations all over the country, including Oregon, California, and more.