The BARRY GOLDWATER SCHOLARSHIP is designed to attract outstanding students into research careers in mathematics, the natural sciences, and engineering. Scholarships are awarded on the basis of merit to students who are sophomores or juniors during the current academic year and who have excellent academic records and demonstrated interest in and potential for research careers in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering. The scholarship covers undergraduate eligible expenses for tuition, fees, books, and room and board to a maximum of $7,500 per academic year.
UW DEADLINE to apply for nomination: November 9, 2020. Apply at https://expo.uw.edu/expo/apply/592.
To be considered for nomination, a student must:
- Be a full-time* matriculated sophomore or junior pursuing a degree at an accredited 2- or 4-year institution of higher education during the 2020-2021 academic year.
- * COVID-19 UPDATE: Because of COVID-19, some students may not be enrolled full-time during the 2020-2021 academic year. For this year, you can be eligible to apply even if not full-time enrolled. For the purposes of the 2021 review, the assumption will be made that all students will be enrolled full-time during the 2021-2022 academic year.
- Intend to pursue a research career in a natural science, mathematics or engineering (view a list of eligible fields at https://goldwater.scholarsapply.org/eligibility/)
- Have a college grade point average of at least a 3.00 on a 4.00 scale.
- Be a U.S. citizen; a U.S. national; or a permanent resident.
- UW is able to nominate up to 5 students to compete for this national award, including at least one community college transfer student!
- UW NOMINATION NOTE: To be competitive for nomination at UW, students are recommended to have a minimum of three quarters of research experience and a minimum GPA of 3.5.