In the spirit of Halloween I’ve rounded up some of the more wacky questions students have been asked during interviews. Most interviewers ask questions focused on understanding your specific skills and experiences as they relate to the job or internship, but every so often a student gets asked something a bit stranger. A few recent ones are listed below:
- If you were a cookie, what kind of cookie would you be?
- What song would be the soundtrack to your life right now?
- If you could have a superpower, what would it be and why?
- If you were stranded on a desert island with one other person, who would it be?
- Describe your sense of humor.
Wondering how to answer these questions? The key is to think about the goal of the question (get to know your strengths, demonstrate thinking creatively in the moment, etc.) and then be able to explain your answer in terms of your skills, contributions or expertise. So if you say you’d be an oatmeal raisin cookie when asked the cookie question, consider sharing what qualities you think it would represent for you.