Career Success Certificate FAQs
- What is the Career Success Certificate program?
- The UW Career Success Certificate program provides a structured yet flexible way for you to hone your skills to prepare and compete for a satisfying job and career path. CSC components cover self-exploration, career exploration, and job search skills.
- Who is eligible to pursue the Career Success Certificate?
- The CSC program is open to all University of Washington (Seattle) undergraduates.
- Why should I pursue the CSC Certificate? What's in it for me?
- The Career Success Certificate is a structured, flexible (and, we hope, fun) way for you to:
1. Learn about yourself
2. Learn about career options
3. Explore careers that may be a good fit for you
4. Understand the nuts and bolts of the career search
5. Refine your resume, expand your job search skills, improve your interviewing, and
6. Apply these newfound skills when you meet and talk with real employers and alumni.
- What are the requirements for completing the CSC?
- CSC requirements are structured into eight sections: 4 basic "core" sections which require a workshop (in-person or online) and 4 additional modules that offer several options for you to choose from. In addition, you will submit a brief CSC Completion Packet.
- The 4 "core" sections are: Resumes & Cover Letters, Finding Jobs & Internships, Career Fair Preparation & Attendance, and Interviewing Skills. Each section has three requirements, all of which must be completed. To give an example: requirements for the Resumes & Cover Letters Core Module include (a) listening to our Effective Resumes & Cover Letters workshop (either online or in-person); (b) completing 3 questions based on the workshop; and (c) getting your resume reviewed/revised at a Same-Day Session at the Career Center.
- The 4 sections with options address Strengths & Skills, Self-Exploration, Career Exploration, and Networking. Each section offers a variety of options, and you may choose which of these options you wish to complete.
- Meet with a UW Career Counselor once each quarter.
- The CSC Completion Packet includes your completed CSC Summary Worksheet, your tailored resume and cover letter, and your responses to each section's questions.
- For details see the CSC Requirements page and the CSC Summary Worksheet.
- What is the CSC Completion Packet? Is the Completion Packet a requirement?
- The CSC Completion Packet is a requirement for CS Certificate program. We have made a concerted effort to make this requirement simple, practical, and useful. Basically, the Completion Packet demonstrates that you have adequately completed all requirements for the Career Success Certificate. It will include your CSC Summary Worksheet and evidence that you completed each section (e.g., your responses to the section questions, your revised resume and cover letter, etc).
- How long will it take to complete the Career Success Certificate?
- The time frame for completing this certificate is quite flexible, though all requirements must be completed within one academic year (Summer through Spring). You may begin the program in any quarter. That said, students beginning in the Summer or Autumn Quarters will have the most time to complete the requirements. If you begin in the Winter, then you would have two quarters to complete it. Although it is theoretically possible to start and finish the CSC in Spring Quarter, we recommend that you begin in Summer, Fall, or Winter in order to give yourself more time and flexibility.
- Is there a deadline for completing CSC requirements?
- You must complete all requirements and turn in your CSC Completion Packet by the last day of Spring Quarter in order to receive your personalized Career Success Certificate.
- I'm ready! How do I begin the Career Success Certificate program?
- Signing up for the UW Career Success Certificate program is easy! Just go to CSC Sign-Up. It's as easy as that!
- Next, print out or download the Career Success Certificate Summary Worksheet and decide which section you would like to begin with. You are welcome to complete activities in the order listed on the Summary Worksheet, but you aren't required to do them in any particular order. We want to provide you with the flexibility you need to fit the requirements into your schedule.
- What if I sign up and then decide not to finish the CSC?
- We encourage you to complete the CS Certificate program because we think it will definitely enhance your career-related skills. However, it's fine if you decide not to complete the certificate. If you decide to drop your participation in the program, just let us know -- no problem.
- Will I get academic credit for completing the CSC program?
- The Career Success Certificate is not a formal academic course, so it does not result in credits and is not included on your official UW transcript.
- [The Career Center does offer a 3-credit course entitled "Navigating Career Options" (GEN ST 350D) Navigating Career Options in Winter and Spring Quarters, so check the Time Schedule if you are interested in that option. However, taking GEN ST 350D does not qualify you for the CSC.]
- Does participating in the CSC cost anything?
- There is no fee to sign up for the Career Success Certificate, and it is possible to complete the entire program for free. A few optional events or services (for example, the Engage workshop, the Strong Interest Inventory, and Myers-Briggs Type Indicator) may have a fee, but there will always be free options available to you, as well.
- Do you have a CSC listserv?
- Yes, we do have a listserv for students in the CSC program. We promise not to deluge you with emails (!), but we will alert you to various certificate-related activities and opportunities. You'll automatically be included on the listserv when you sign up for the CSC.
- What if I have more questions about the Career Success Certificate?
- Each quarter we offer at least one CSC information Session at the Career Center. Check our Events Calendar for dates. If you still have questions about the Career Success Certificate program after checking out the CSC website, send us an email at email@example.com, or make an appointment with one of our career counselors (206-543-0535). We are excited about our Career Success Certificate program and would love to talk with you about it!
Last updated: 2012-10-4