Career Success Certificate FAQs
- What is the Career Success Certificate program? How many certificates are there?
- The UW Career Success Certificate (CSC) program offers two certificate options: CSC-Finding a Good Career Fit and CSC-Optimizing Career Success. These certificates provide a structured yet flexible way for you to hone your skills to prepare and compete for a satisfying job and career path. You are welcome to complete either one or both of the certificates!
- What is the difference between the two certificates?
- CSC-Finding a Good Career Fit is designed to help you identify and articulate your own skills, strengths, interests, etc. and then to learn more about various career paths that may be good matches for you.
- CSC-Optimizing Career Success focuses on practical skills and strategies (resumes, job searching, interviewing, and networking) that will significantly enhance your ability to land the type of job you seek.
- Many students find it worthwhile to pursue both certificates.
- Who is eligible to pursue the Career Success Certificate?
- The CSC program is open to all University of Washington (Seattle) undergraduates.
- Why should I pursue the CSC Certificate? What's in it for me?
- The Career Success Certificates provide a structured, flexible (and, we hope, fun) way for you to:
1. Learn about yourself
2. Learn about career options
3. Explore careers that may be a good fit for you
4. Understand the nuts and bolts of the career search
5. Refine your resume, expand your job search skills, improve your interviewing, and
6. Apply these newfound skills when you apply for jobs/internships as well as when you talk with employers.
- What are the requirements for completing the CSC?
- The CSC-Finding a Good Career Fit consists of three separate sections: Strengths & Skills, Self-Exploration, and Career Exploration. For each section, you complete 1-2 activities and complete 2-3 questions about what you learned. Finally, you submit a brief CSC Completion Packet to demonstrate that you completed each section.
- The CSC-Optimizing Career Options consists of four sections: Resumes, Finding Jobs & Internships, Interviewing Skills, and Networking. Each section has three requirements. For example, requirements for the Resumes section include (a) listening to our Resumes workshop (either online or in-person); (b) completing 3 questions based on the workshop; and (c) getting your resume reviewed/revised at a Same-Day Session at the Career Center.
- After completing your requirements, you'll submit a CSC Completion Packet which includes your completed CSC Worksheet and your responses to each section's questions.
- For details see the CSC Requirements page.
- What is the CSC Completion Packet? Is the Completion Packet a requirement?
- You will be submitting your CSC Completion Packet as a requirement for whichever certificate you are pursuing. We have made a concerted effort to make this requirement simple, practical, and useful. Basically, the Completion Packet demonstrates that you have adequately completed all requirements for your Career Success Certificate. It will include your CSC Summary Worksheet and evidence that you completed each section (e.g., your responses to the section questions, your revised resume, etc).
- How long will it take to complete the Career Success Certificate?
- The time frame for completing this certificate is quite flexible, though all requirements must be completed within one academic year (Summer through Spring). You may begin the program in any quarter.
- Is there a deadline for completing CSC requirements?
- You must complete all requirements and turn in your CSC Completion Packet by the last day of Spring Quarter (the last day of final exams) in order to receive your personalized Career Success Certificate.
- I'm ready! How do I begin the Career Success Certificate program?
- Signing up for the UW Career Success Certificate program is easy! Just go to CSC Sign-Up. It's as easy as that!
- Next, print out or download the worksheet for whichever certificate you are pursuing -- Finding a Good Career Fit or Optimizing Career Success -- and decide which section you would like to begin with. You are welcome to complete activities in the order listed on the Summary Worksheet, but you aren't required to do them in any particular order. We want to provide you with the flexibility you need to fit the requirements into your schedule.
- What if I sign up and then decide not to finish the CSC?
- We encourage you to complete your CS Certificate program because we think it will definitely enhance your career-related skills. However, it's fine if you decide not to complete the certificate. If you decide to drop your participation in the program, just let us know -- no problem.
- Will I get academic credit for completing the CSC program?
- The Career Success Certificates do not result in formal academic credit, and thus are not included on your official UW transcript.
- The Career Center does offer two 2-credit career-related courses, one for freshmen and sophomores and one for juniors and seniors.
- Does participating in the CSC cost anything?
- There is no fee to sign up for the Career Success Certificate, and it is possible to complete the entire program for free. A few optional events or services (for example, the Strong Interest Inventory and Myers-Briggs Type Indicator) may have a fee, but there will always be free options available to you, as well.
- Do you have a CSC listserv?
- Yes, we do have a listserv for students in the CSC program. We promise not to deluge you with emails (!), but we will alert you to various certificate-related activities and opportunities. You'll automatically be included on the listserv when you sign up for the CSC.
- What if I have more questions about the Career Success Certificates?
- If you have any questions about either of the Career Success Certificate programs, check in with us! You can make an appointment or send us an email at email@example.com. We are excited about our Career Success Certificate programs and would love to talk with you about them!
Last updated: 2012-10-4