How to Prepare for the Fair
- Watch and review our online workshops on Career Fair Success and Successful Resumes and Cover Letters
- Resume Workshop. The Career Center holds regular resume workshops each week. Once you have your resume drafted, stop by for a Same-Day Session for a critique.
- Research the employers. Spend a few minutes researching the employers who are attending. Research those employers you’re interested in meeting with by visiting their web sites and doing a quick review of them online and in trade magazines.
- Practice your approach. What do you want the employer to know about you? Which of your skills and past experiences do you want to highlight? Have a short 15-second “sales pitch” ready and make sure to build in some good questions of your own to ask the employer.
- Make sure to attend our Career Fair Success workshop for help in all these areas
- Dress like you would for an interview and present yourself professionally
- Apply online; simply handing your resume to the recruiter doesn’t mean you’ve submitted your application
- Treat your interactions as networking opportunities and be sure to follow up with a thank you email
- Lockers and storage facilities are not available at the fair so consider asking an adviser if you can leave things in their office, asking a buddy to keep an eye out for you while he or she studies at the library, or make a quick run home to drop your things off before the fair.